Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Proverbs 7:7-13a, 21-23

I saw among the simple, I noticed among the young men, a youth who lacked judgment. He was going down the street near her corner, walking along in the direction of her house at twilight, as the day was fading, as the dark of night set in.

Then out came a woman to meet him, dressed like a prostitute and with crafty intent. (She is loud and defiant, her feet never stay at home; now in the street, now in the squares, at every corner she lurks.) She took hold of him and kissed him...

With persuasive words she led him astray; she seduced him with her smooth talk. All at once he followed her like an ox going to the slaughter, like a deer stepping into a noose till an arrow pierces his liver, like a bird darting into a snare, little knowing it would cost him his life.

Have you led yourself into the snare? Have you been the simple-minded and foolish man who let down his guard and walked right into sin? Lust, Bitterness, Adultery, Pride - these are the sins of the prostitute; her feet never stay at home, at every corner she lurks.

Many times we have to install personal legalisms into our lives to ensure we don't fall to her temptations. I have mine. One, for example, I must practice every morning. I have had a history of falling into her temptations in the morning, while lying in my bed half asleep, half awake, when my thoughts are prone to wander. So this is what I must do: I must stay away from her doorstep. I do this by getting up when I first awake and, picking up my Bible, immediately begin to read scripture and focus my mind of God. This is important for me; is it essential for everyone? No. It is a personal legalism so that I do not fall to the prostitute's temptations.

Where in your life do you need to apply some personal legalisms? Do not be a fool! Do not walk in the direction of her house! She is calling out to you in a loud voice; but so is Wisdom. Wisdom says take stock of your situation, listen to sound advise, take the long route home if you have to; Do whatever it takes to not fall to the prostitute's snare, or it will cost you your life.

No comments: